Sunday, April 5, 2015

Punchi*

Thank you
for just being YOU
Fierce, Free, Independent
You and Only You
could Live, and Love, and Laugh
the way you did
before.
Only You, and You alone
could be the person You were
Aunt, Friend, Confidant.
Your Life, Strength, Spirit
sparking, shining, shimmering
like a thousand fireflies
in the vast open fields of our lives.
Touching so many
and leaving your mark
engraved
in our hearts.
You, who are so unique
yet so familiar.
You, who left
but are (still) right here.
You
who Lived, Laughed and Understood
that life
must be lived to the fullest
one day at a time.
So I take heart and I take courage
and I learnt that I must not cry.
for I know
You are with Me still
and that makes Me able
to Live, Love and  Laugh
like You did.

For my Punchi. With all my love.


*The Sinhalese word for your mother's younger sister is 'punchi amma' which literally translates to 'little mother'. The word is usually shortened to 'punchi' for everyday usage. It's been 10 years punchi. And I miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment